Follow these steps to starting a Merit Badge with Troop 1513:
- Pick a subject – Talk to your Scoutmaster before you begin, they will give you a list of counselors to get in contact with. The Troop may have copies of the Merit Badge handbooks you can borrow.
- Scout Buddy System – Not just for camping, you must have another person with you at each meeting with your merit badge counselor. (This person can be your parent/guardian)
- Call the Merit Badge Counselor – Get approval from your Scoutmaster to begin the Merit badge (Signed Bluecard in some cases) and you may now reach out to a Merit Badge Counselor expressing interest in earning the merit badge.
- Unless noted, Work can be done at any time – make sure you discuss with your MB Counselor what questions you have, they are there to help you – stay in contact with them!
- Show your stuff! When you are ready, make an appointment to go over your completed requirements with your counselor. Make sure you are marking them complete in Scoutbook and add any notes to help your counselor. Troop 1513 usually meets during “Admin Meetings” to mark off these requirements that need “Discuss with your counselor” on the 3rd Monday of every month.
- Get the Badge! Once the counselor is satisfied you have met all the requirements, they will signed off on your Merit Badge in Scoutbook and let your Advancement Chair know. Congratulations! You did great!
More tips and guidelines go to https://www.scouting.org/skills/merit-badges/tips-guides/